Sioux City Public Library (Main Branch)
Carnegie Grant Information
Town & County
Twelfth Census of the United States — 1900. p. 450.
Thirteenth Census of the United States — 1910. 47,828 population.
Sioux City is the county seat of Woodbury County, which was established on January 12, 1853. The county was first named for Sergeant Charles Floyd, and then the name was changed to Wahkaw. In 1853, the county name was again changed to Woodbury in honor of Levi Woodbury (1789-1851) who served as the governor of New Hampshire, and then multiple positions in the United States government. In 1856, Sioux City became the county seat. Sioux City received two Carnegie grants for the Main Library building and for the Leeds branch library.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 336.)