Lake City Public Library
Carnegie Grant Information
Town & County
Twelfth Census of the United States — 1900. p. 449.
Lake City is a town in Calhoun County, which was established on January 15, 1851. The county was originally named Fox County, but then was changed to Calhoun to honor John Caldwell Calhoun (1782-1850) who had served as a Vice President of the United States. In 1856, Lake City was chosen as the county seat. In 1876, a county election changed the county seat to the more centrally located Rockwell City. Lake City and Rockwell City both received Carnegie grants.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 53.)