Fort Dodge Public Library
Carnegie Grant Information
Town & County
Twelfth Census of the United States — 1900. p. 449.
Fort Dodge is the county seat of Webster County, which was established on January 12, 1853. It was originally named Yell County, and then it was combined with Risley County to form Webster County. Webster County was named for Daniel Webster (1782-1852), the former United States Secretary of State. In 1853, the town of Homer served as the first county seat, but in 1855, the designation moved to Fort Dodge.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 328-329.)