Clinton Public Library
Carnegie Grant Information
Town & County
Twelfth Census of the United States — 1900. p. 449.
Clinton is the county seat of Clinton County, which was established on December 21, 1837. The county was named for DeWitt Clinton (1769-1828), who had served as a Governor of New York. In 1840, the county seat was first established at Camanche, and then in 1841, it was moved to Vandenburg, which was later renamed DeWitt. In 1869, Clinton became the county seat. Both Clinton and DeWitt received Carnegie grants.
(Source: Pratt, LeRoy G. “The Counties and Courthouses of Iowa.” Mason City, Ia; Klipto Printing & Office Supply Company, 1977, p. 80-82.)